|From The Skiny Instagram with Helen Vong and Mehreen|
To stay informed on the latest skincare products and ingredients, I follow The Skiny blog. Editor Helen Vong covers a wide range of topics from Sun Protective Clothing (am buying one of these hats before my beach holiday!) to decoding celeb-favored treatments such as IPL, I'm always learning and loving what I read. When Mehreen and I learned that Helen was hosting a Beauty Brunch in Yorkville, we RSVP'd in a heartbeat!
|Gorgeous Venue - the Beauty Brunch was held at Dyne Restaurant|
One of the reasons I wanted to attend this event was because of the opportunity to meet Dr. Lisa Kellett - she is one of Toronto's top dermatologists and has been featured on the Marilyn Denis show, etalk and the E! Network. I LOVED learning from her - Dr. Kellett is so approachable and easy to talk to. You can tell that she has such a passion for what she does, and for the dermatology industry in general.
|Chatting with Dr. Kellett!!!|
And now for the highlights of what I learned from Dr. Kellett:
- The Holy Trinity of skincare we should be using: Retinols (Vitamin A), Antioxidants (Vitamin C) and Sunscreen!
- Acne sufferers should use a sunscreen spray - spray on hands then pat over face.
- Keep a stick SPF (such as a lip balm) in your bag at all times to use as emergency SPF - so you're never caught short without sunscreen!
- Don't forget to apply SPF to these areas: under eye area, neck, hands and chest.
- Do not spot treat acne - apply treatment all over your face to prevent and treat blemishes.
- Stem cells are the future of skincare - using your own collagen to regenerate your skin.
My question for Dr. Kellett: What topical treatment would you recommend for light acne scarring (looks more like enlarged pores than pitting)? Her answer: Retinols. My follow-up: Would Adapalene (a retinol derivative in my current skincare routine) be effective for this? Her answer: It is effective as long as it doesn't irritate your skin.
Other Highlights from the Event:
|Clockwise: With Louise, Stylish Mehreen and a spy pic of Mehreen's gorgeous arm candy!|
- Finally getting to meet Louise - we've been reading each others' blogs for a long time.
- Hanging out with Mehreen - she's so much fun to talk to...beauty products, Youtubeland, marriage...we covered it all and could have kept going!
- Registered Nurse Diana's response when asked about the right time to start treatments to prevent aging: When it bothers you enough to make a change - and for some people, that is never. Loved the supportive attitude towards everyone's skincare choices and decisions.
- The generous gift bag featuring Dr. Kellett's skincare line. Especially excited about the sunscreen and the Vitamin C and Retinol Serums - thanks Helen!
What I wore:
|Old Navy Dress, F21 Necklace, Old Navy Boots (this year's version), Balenciaga City Bag|
Hope you enjoyed reading about my experience! I'm curious - what is your approach to anti-aging skincare?