Emjoi Travel Epilator (old method) versus Philips SatinPerfect Epilator
Who wins? Philips SatinPerfect Epilator
Why? The Philips' Epilation surface area is MUCH bigger than the Emjoi - so hair removal was lightening fast (5 seconds rather than 20 seconds per side). Also, the Philips is cordless and rechargeable so its more powerful than the Emjoi (which uses pencil batteries).
Veet Easy to Use Wax Strips (old method) versus Philips SatinPerfect Epilator
Who Wins? Philips SatinPerfect Epilator
Why? Waxing is messy and sticky and leaves your skin feeling gummy. You also have to use a lot of strips to cover the whole arm area, so it can get expensive (around $8 per box). My arm hair is light and fine, the epilator is easily able to pick up the hair - leaving my arms soft and smooth. I probably need to go over each area 2-3 times to capture each hair, but it's a quick and simple process.
Venus Razor (old method) versus Philips SatinPerfect Epilator
Who Wins? Venus Razor
Why? My leg hairs are coarse and don't come out easily with the epilator - I went over my shins 5-6 times and STILL didn't manage to remove all the hairs. Also, epilating a large area (lower legs, knees, thighs) is SUCH a time-consuming process! I much prefer quickly going over my legs twice a week with a razor in the shower - it's fast, effective and I never have to worry about stubble!
- How do you use it? One shortfall I noticed (and mentioned in my feedback to Philips) was the inadequacy of the manual provided (lots of labeled technical drawings with only a few sentences, written in a multitude of languages). Luckily, the website features clear instructions and videos (view here). Rather than a vague "one-size fits all" insert for global distribution, Philips should consider producing a more detailed insert per country, as it may not occur to everyone that they should search for instructions online
- Does it hurt? The pain or discomfort you feel during epilation is dependent on factors such as your personal sensitivity level, coarseness of hair being removed, and speed at which hair is removed. I personally don't find the SatinPerfect Epilator painful because it is powerful and has a large epilation head which is able to cover large areas in a short amount of time. I feel a prickling at first, but after I've gone over an area once, it doesn't hurt at all.
- Time it takes? This also depends on the coarseness of your hair as well as the zone you're covering. As posted above, epilating my arms and underarms was super-fast, but epilating my legs takes too much time and effort.
- How long do you have to grow your hair before you can remove it? The rotating discs can remove hairs as small as 0.5mm - so you don't have to wait for much visible growth before you can epilate again.
- Would I purchase it myself? Yes - 100%! I was in the market for something to replace my Emjoi underarm epilator - and am so pleased to have found something cordless yet so much more powerful and fast. Am also relieved that I no longer need to purchase cold wax strips for my arms...my hair removal process has gotten a lot more streamlined now!
Have you used an epilator before? Do you find it easy to use?
DISCLAIMER: Philips sent me the epilator to review so that I could share my experience with my readers. As always, the provision of products doesn't affect my reviews - my opinions are 100% my own!