Tuesday, August 31, 2010

What's for Dinner

 I've tried some new recipes recently - it is always nice to add some healthy variety to our weekly menu.

Beef Stroganoff with Zucchini Pasta - the other night, Hubby requested slow-cooker Beef Stroganoff for dinner. The recipe is ridiculously simple - season beef with salt and pepper, sear on all sides (optional step), and cook in a slow-cooker on high for 6 hours with Cream of Mushroom soup, chili flakes, garlic powder and onion powder. Serve with pasta (Hubby prefers farfalle/bow-tie pasta - though most people use egg noodles). This is a great comfort food - but it's carb-heavy. So I substituted zucchini pasta in my portion (recipe here). I've used spaghetti squash as pasta before - but I much preferred my zucchini noodles - way less effort - and very satisfying too.
Chicken and Shredded Cabbage Salad - This is the first recipe I've made from the Low-Fat No-Fat Thai & South-East Asian Cookbook (only $7 at Winners!). The components are simple: finely sliced Napa cabbage, mint, grated carrot and shredded chicken dressed with a lime, fish sauce, vinegar, garlic, ginger, chili and shallot dressing. I didn't need any specialty ingredients - I found everything at my grocery store - yet the dish had a very authentic Thai flavour to it. There was a lot of prep work with all the slicing and shredding, but it was worth the effort - the dish was super-tasty and very filling. I've bookmarked several more recipes in this book, and can't wait to try them out!

6 comments:

  1. Those both look so yummy! I'm going to try the stroganoff with zucchini noodles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, great idea! I love beef and zucchini so I will definitely be borrowing this, thanks for the fab idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ilinda and Andi - the zucchini pasta was lovely - I overindulge when it comes to pasta - so it was nice to eat lots without feeling guilty LOL!

    And it hardly requires any extra effort - I just put it in the salted water I boiled for everyone else's pasta (after draining theirs out).

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look soooo good! I will have to try them soon.

    ashleybonthego.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Ashley - hope the recipes turn out yummy for you too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really need to try that zucchini pasta idea out!! Great great great idea!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Comments are my favorite part of blogging and I respond to each and every one <3

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...