Tuesday, December 29, 2009
Here is an update photo - the top photo was before, and the bottom photo is one month into the experiment.
Conclusions: There doesn't seem to be any noticeable change. My lashes look a little spikier in the bottom pic because I used an oily eye make up remover today. I know that a lot of lash growth solutions take at least 6 weeks to take effect, so I'm going to continue applying the Castor Oil for another month. Will post another photo then.
Tuesday, December 22, 2009
Although there are many fakes of this bag, I don't mind - I like knowing that mine is the real thing. I think this is the perfect *everyday* bag - it will only get better with age.
Now I just have to figure out when hubby can go pick it up from the LV store.
Thursday, December 10, 2009
Shampoo & Conditioner: L'Oreal EVERPURE Shampoo (the EVERPURE range is sulfate free) and ORGANIX smoothing Shea Butter Conditioner. I don't *love* either product - although they work well enough. I'll probably re-purchase the EVERPURE Shampoo, and switch to Aveda Sap Moss Conditioner (I used to love this product - but will have to check that it doesn't have any nasty chemicals in it)
Shower Gel: Fruits & Passion Rose Shower Gel and The Sanctuary's Foaming Cream Scrub (I used to buy this range at Boots - and was so pleased to find it at my grocery store in Canada)
Styling products: Moroccan Oil (but very occasionally - I don't really use styling products. I don't *love* this product either, it tends to make my hair look oily - don't need any help with that!)
Body moisturiser: Fruits & Passion Moringa Body Butter (love the texture of these butters)
Deodorant: Crystal Body Deodorant (the doctor prescribed this for my cousin after she broke out in a rash from Dove deodorant. Most deodorants make me feel itchy - this one eliminates that problem - and also it is the first deodorant to make me completely odor-less. This is a holy grail product for sure! Just remember to apply it wet to freshly washed skin - and you have 24 hour protection!) By the way - they sell a similar product in the UK in Boots and Waitrose - it is called Pit Rok.
Fake Tan: Don't need one - I'm NC35 all year round!
Skincare: Burts Bees, Avalon Organics and Clarisonic
Primer: Don't use one
Foundation: Will use Bare Escentuals Tinted Mineral Veil once in a while
Foundation brush: Bare Escentuals Handy Buki Brush (Works much better for me than regular Kabuki brushes - the bristles are very dense and firm)
Concealer: MAC Studio Finish in NC35
Powder: the Tinted Mineral Veil mentioned above
Blusher: NARS Orgasm or Chanel Blush (will have to update with the name later)
Bronzer: Boots No 15
Highlighter: Golden Bronze from the Sephora Shimmer Brick or Benefit Gilded pencil
Eyeshadow base: Don't own one yet - but am looking to buy the Urban Decay Primer Potion
Eyeshadows: Sephora loose gold eye shadow and Stila Kitten
Eyeliner: MAC fluidline in blacktrack
Curler: Revlon (I purchased this after reading that Jemma Kidd (the make up artist) recommended it)
Mascara: Maybelline Full n Soft (Nice buildable coverage, and comes off so easily)
Lipgloss: MAC Dazzleglass in Liqueur and Chanel Glossimer in Blizzard
Nail Colour: Sephora/OPI in Set the Mood
Wednesday, December 9, 2009
Would repurchase: the gel eyeliner, concealer, lip brush and blush brush.
Wouldn't repurchase: 191 foundation brush (I was sold this brush to apply concealer with - its way too big for that!), spice lipliner (a cult classic, but nothing special for me) and nylon eyeshadow - it doesn't really suit my skintone.
From left to right:
: All-purpose for blush or face powder. This brush is particularly good for blush application (CA$ 41)
:A large, flat, square-shaped synthetic-fibre brush with a fine firm edge for distribution and blending of liquid, emulsion or cream products on the face or body. (CA$ 38.50)
: For powder, concealer or emollient-based product application. This brush has firm fibers carefully shaped to form a rounded edge for a smooth, even finish. (CA$ 27.50)
Studio Finish SPF 35 Concealer, NC35 (CA$ 20)
Dazzleglass, Liqueur (CA$ 21.50)
Fluidline, Blacktrack Shade description: Solid flat black (CA$ 18)
(CA$ 13 each)
Clockwise from top left:
Nylon: Pale gold with icy metallic shimmer (Frost)
Retrospeck: Beached blonde (Lustre)
Black Tied: A midnight black with a silver white sparkle
Honesty: Pewtered bronze (Lustre)
EDIT: Recent Additions
Lipstick, Crème d’Nude Shade description: Pale muted peach beige (Cremesheen)
Lipstick, Myth Shade description: Pale muted peachy-beige (Satin)
Lipstick, Angel Shade description: Soft pink (Frost)
Wet n Wild MegaGlow Illuminating Powder: This is a multipurpose product - sort of like Bobbi Brown's shimmerbrick. We can swirl the brush through all the colours to give a general glow to her face. Focusing the blush brush on the darker shades, we can get a blush/bronzer effect, while the lightest stripe can be used as eyeshadow.
Wet n Wild Face Styling Brush Kit: Since the powder didn't come with a brush, I got this surprisingly cheap brush kit (around CAD$4) which has 3 eyeshadow brushes, one lipliner and a blush brush - all made out of natural hair. The blush brush will definitely come in handy, while the eyeshadow blushes can be used to play with the different shades and try out different effects. The eyeliner brush can be used wet, for concentrated shadow colour.
Wet n Wild Eyeliner in Dark Brown: Eyeliner applied above the lash line is a flattering and subtle look - we chose brown to make the look even softer. I own this eyeliner in Black - and it is really long-lasting. Many reviewers say that it is a dupe for MAC eyeliner.
Bonnie Bell Smackers Lip Sparkler in Celestial Strawberry: this is the classic tween/teen brand, so I had to get this light shimmery gloss. It will add just the right touch of sparkle.
Stila Kitten Collection: The eyeshadow is one of those cult classics that I've always read about - and this deal is great - you get the full-size eyeshadow AND lipgloss, for the price of 1 item. The lipgloss is such a gorgeous shade - I'm very excited to try this out.
I also got 2 nailpolishes: Sephora/OPI nailpolish in Set The Mood (metallic dark pink on nail#1) and Sephora brand nailpolish in turquoise (nail #3). I was debating between the Sephora brand polish and Sephora/OPI's Mermaid To Order (nail#4). In the end I chose the Sephora brand polish, as Mermaid to Order has a greenish metallic tinge that doesn't suit me.
Friday, December 4, 2009
Now, 4 years later, my skin is probably the clearest it has ever been (knock wood!). Here are the top 5 things that have led to this transformation.
5. Sticking to my cleansing routine - I currently wash my face in the morning, and deep cleanse it at night. To prevent myself skipping my deep cleansing session because I'm too tired, I've started washing my face earlier in the night. This ensures my skin is clear every night, and there are no clogged pores - therefore, less spots.
4. Changing pillowcases frequently - I noticed that there were more blemishes on the side of my face that I sleep on, so I've started changing my pillowcase every 1-2 nights. This is especially helpful because I use Castor Oil in my hair twice a week - and I don't want oil residue ending up on my face. I keep spare pillowcases in my pajama drawer, so that it is quick and easy to change the case.
3. Burts Bees Orange Essence Facial Cleanser - There are a lot of followers of the Oil Cleansing Method (OCM) which claims that oil is more effective at cleaning out blocked pores than soaps. Furthermore, OCM doesn't strip your skin of its natural oils, thus preventing over production of in response to cleansing. (You can read more about OCM here). I personally don't have the patience to follow the full OCM method, but this Burts Bees cleanser uses Orange Oil - which allows me to enjoy some of the benefits of OCM.
2. Avalon Organics Vitamin C Vitality Facial Serum - I've been using this product for around 2 months. This serum has tightened my pores (I have few, if any blackheads now!) and given my skin an airbrushed finish. I think it has also prevented spots from forming and lightened any existing acne scars. This truly is a wonder product, and nearly made it to first place. Also, I love that it is organic, so I don't feel guilty about adding yet another product to my skin care regimen.
1. Clarisonic Classic Skin Cleansing System - I use the Clarisonic once a day (at night-time) to deep clean my pores and ensure that all make-up has been removed. It is an expensive product, but it delivers on its promises. I've been using this for a year now, and I'm amazed at the difference it has made.
Tuesday, December 1, 2009
So when I read that forever 21 was having free shipping yesterday, I spent a long time browsing their limitless collection - and chose 2 items to order. I love how tiny and delicate this strawberry is:
This leaf necklace reminds me of the Jennifer Meyer one that Jennifer Aniston wore in "The Break Up" - I've always admired it:
Since shipping was free, the 2 items came to $13.10 - seems like a great deal to me! Will update once I receive the items.